Mailing List

Friday, January 21, 2022

Trading in Danger (Vatta's War, #1)Trading in Danger by Elizabeth Moon
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I guess I didn't know exactly what to expect with this, but just looking at the cover made me think it was a bit of mil-sf-type space-opera fluff along the lines of Harrington, so I didn't think about giving it much of a chance.

But when the opportunity finally presented itself, along with a bit of guilt that I would dismiss the author so easily, I finally sat down to make an actual informed opinion.

I'm very glad I did.

It's not exactly mil-SF, even if it begins with that setup. From there, it quickly diverges into a trading space adventure that gets slammed with some pretty cool unforeseen snags like a war, pirates, mutiny, mercenaries, hunger, and the profit motive.

All in all, I DO consider this fluff. But with one little addition: it's FUN fluff. I had a good time throughout and I'm now stuck with the always-pleasant sensation that I have to CONTINUE the series. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment