Mailing List

Monday, January 24, 2022

The Last Watch (The Divide, #1)The Last Watch by J.S. Dewes
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm really surprised how this turned out.

The opening to this rather traditional space opera, with its huge premise of a never-ending war with aliens, trapped on the wavefront of our own collapsing universe, with wonky time-space effects, a military installation that feels more like a prison than anything else, gave it a strong opening. I didn't even mind how the snarky Gary Stu character dominated the first few pages because he quickly became a lot more rounded and we were given a nice selection of other interesting characters to sink our teeth into.

Indeed, I had the feeling like I was reading a substantially different version of Old Man's War but with the same nitty-gritty feel, and that's a great thing.

From there, I enjoyed the great action, the worldbuilding mysteries that were uncovered, the character developments and tragedies, and, eventually, the totally delicious BDOs and the big-scale view of this entire conflict.

This is some really good SF and I hope it gets super popular because I'm gonna want to see a ton more of this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment