Mailing List

Friday, January 28, 2022

The Necromancer's HouseThe Necromancer's House by Christopher Buehlman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I walked into this expecting something usual along the horror lines. A detailed look at a necromancer, for example. What I got was something much bigger, more varied, and frankly more magical (if also disturbing and creative). I got a lot more than I expected.

This wasn't some morality play. It was a look at a bunch of normal-seeming people in normal houses, whether early or late in their magical careers, performing all kinds of interesting magic all over the world. Some magics are inherent, others taught, and there is a wide range of styles and practices. And then, some get themselves into massive trouble with a certain witch who travels in a house with a certain chicken leg, murderous fish-children, and a freaking meteor. But I recommend reading the book to see just how crazy it can get. :)

It honestly defied my expectations and did it well. Very enjoyable.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment