Mailing List

Monday, January 3, 2022

Imager's Intrigue (Imager Portfolio, #3)Imager's Intrigue by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While I see a lot of similarities to the Recluse saga, at least in how the storytelling takes its sweet time, building steadily from humble beginnings to impressive martial and political power, what this does a bit better to the other series is simple:

It takes its sweet time... more.

Mind you, this isn't a complaint. By now, after reading nearly three dozen novels by Modesitt, I've found that I really enjoy his style. From that point on, I simply trust in the characters and the story to lead me somewhere good.

And it does. I don't even care anymore that the MCs always tend to be TOO good at what they do. And at least so far, this one definitely fits the bill. He's outlasting all his allies and burying his enemies so well that we're now headed to the big stage of war.

The losses aren't direct, or at least not too direct. We'll see how things shape themselves later.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment