Mailing List

Thursday, May 20, 2021

The Last Town (Wayward Pines, #3)The Last Town by Blake Crouch
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

So, after the rug had been pulled out from under the whole town at the end of the previous novel and all the chickens come home to roost in the pen of the Last Town, we get a pretty delightful bloodbath with survival horror everywhere to be seen.

Oh, Pilcher. What have you done?

As entertainment, this series is highly entertaining. The third book gives us all the kind of payoff we were led to expect from a good horror novel. Of course, this is still an SF, too, and I'll go one step further and mention that all three of these books really ought to be considered a single long SF/Horror novel.


So, wait, why did I give this only four stars when I gave the other two five? Because I got annoyed with the characters and perhaps I hoped for another perfect twist for the end sequence, one that would have wowed me. We had great expectations and twists before, the last one was merely just a solid landing. Not bad, but not as brilliant as I had hoped. And yes, I did hope.

I'm a big fan of Blake Crouch in general.

Still, I did have a great time with these, overall.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment