Mailing List

Monday, May 17, 2021

Pines (Wayward Pines, #1)Pines by Blake Crouch
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The first half of this book was a nicely eerie and freaky thriller in the style of all small towns.

Yes. I said it. All small towns are freaky. Or at least most fictional depictions of small towns are relatively freaky. But in this case, Crouch took it much farther than most. And that's where I can't say any more before I get very spoilery.

BUT, I very much enjoyed the first half and when we get some rather freaky developments, almost lovecraftian, but with a very nice fantastical bent, I pulled my pants up and ran with the tale, screaming the entire time.

There's something quite fine about horrors that spread their great leathery wings to fly to new vistas. It may be fine to stay close to home, but I love it when it breaks new ground. :)

I mean, sure there are some definite connections to Twin Peaks and even Lost, but that's just it: a lot of us LOVE that kind of thing. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment