Mailing List

Saturday, May 8, 2021

Deathworld 1 (Deathworld, #1)Deathworld 1 by Harry Harrison
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When I picked up this Harry Harrison, I did so in full knowledge of his general humor, his delightful action, and lighthearted adventure.

In this, we at least get a lighthearted adventure with a fair smattering of action. The characters are merely so/so. Even so, the tale progresses fairly nicely with a visit to an extremely deadly (and heavy) planet with all kinds of creatures so ready to kill you. The hardiness of the human race, survival, and being the biggest bad-ass being the heaviest focus.

Of course, when it comes to an outsider with an outsider's viewpoint, things take on a different kind of feel.

Let's just say this is a pretty feel-good tale that is a sign of its times. Sure, we get a bunch of bang-bang going on, but we also get a fair amount of peace, love, and communication, too. :)

Too bad that wasn't as interesting as I would have hoped. I'm a bit jaded now, I guess. I like more subtlety.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment