Mailing List

Monday, December 7, 2020

Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely FineEleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Honestly? I loved this book. Why? Because it does a pretty awesome job of describing the specific mental illness of Depression.

It starts light and somewhat rather stuffy while being light, but there are signs of issues. Regular drunkenness, for one, while maintaining that high-functioning demeanor. But then there was also the deep and abiding loneliness.

I didn't read up on this book. I didn't realize it wasn't a romantic comedy. It felt like a romantic comedy. Of course, it was much more than that. It boiled me alive.

Wow, right? Well, having suffered depression most of my life, I totally got this book. The death by degrees, the stunning loneliness, the razor-sharp focus on tasks, and the inability to ask for help.

When she slowly lets her new friend in, it's like a tidal wave of emotion for me.

I should note that this is probably not the usual reaction that people might get from this book. Maybe it is, however. I guess it's all about the DEGREE.

So, I cried my little heart out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment