Mailing List

Thursday, October 1, 2020

The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)The Trouble with Peace by Joe Abercrombie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

After the first book in The Age of Madness, I expected great things to come from this broken and confused little kingdom, but I expected more out of my new favorite characters -- those flawed, nuanced, crazily confused little nightmares of young people never quite knowing what they should be doing.

Mind you, I don't blame the author for the characters not being engaging and fascinating, because they most certainly are. I root for all of them even when I want to slap them up the side of their heads.

Or at least, I USED to.

Other than Orso, I'm ready to snarl at the rest of them and yell, "What the hell were you thinking!!!"

I guess that's a sign that the book is pretty good.

Oh, yes, there's lots of intrigues, battle prep, treason, BATTLE, and more BATTLE. This book really polarized me as a reader. And not in a bad way, either. I got very anxious, disgusted, and upset.

For an author known for being a Grimdark Epic Fantasy writer, it just goes to show: he knows his audience.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment