Mailing List

Sunday, October 18, 2020

Kill City Blues (Sandman Slim, #5)Kill City Blues by Richard Kadrey
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While I will be the first to admit this is the weakest book of the series (so far), it is STILL a very fun novel.

Why? We've got a de-powered Stark having to solve his own f**k-ups after having been an idiot. This is NOT a dealbreaker. After all, such amazingly messed up choices should come with massive consequences, and here we go...

So why aren't I giving this a full five stars? Because, compared to the full ramp-up OTT OMG how the hell did we get HERE from THERE books, it's ONLY, MERELY a MacGuffin quest.

For those not in the know, a MacGuffin quest is just finding some dumb object. In this case, the object is Stark's Mystical Eight-Ball, but it does come with some Existence-Shattering consequences. But for the rest of the novel? Well... it IS funny. And weird. And a very creative ride. I only dock a star for the fact that it isn't as good as the prior novels. If I were truly fair, I'd give it a five star because it's still a lot better than so many other similar-themed novels. :) So call it a 4.5 star.

I can't wait to see what happens next!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment