Mailing List

Tuesday, March 12, 2019

The Nicomachean EthicsThe Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This re-read was perhaps a slight bit superfluous. I remembered reading it way back in high school - on my own - just because I was that kind of geek.

Get the foundations read, kid! Know what the whole line of thought is all about! Use it later to trounce your fellow debaters!

Yeah, whatever. Logic and an examined life have since then been more of an end rather than a means.

Case in point: This is about examining Happiness. It does so in a fairly exhaustive but not exhausting way. Aristotle just lays down the foundations, brings up the various opinions people usually hold about WHAT happiness entails, and then tries to pare away the flawed answers.

Usually, a normal adventure tale is never about the end destination. End destinations are usually a let-down. The effort to get there is usually a lot more satisfying.

Same for Aristotle. It turns out I remembered the first journey perfectly. And it brought me happiness. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment