Mailing List

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Domesday Now: New Approaches to the Inquest and the BookDomesday Now: New Approaches to the Inquest and the Book by David Roffe


I want to thank Netgalley for the opportunity, but after a fairly thorough lookthrough, I've discovered that the only way I'm going to get anything out of this book is by becoming a heavy scholar of Domesday and read at least a dozen other scholarly works to even recognize the other scholars who are dropping vague hints about the per capita income of such and such serf under such and such minor noble before or after the Norman invasion.

Just because I could do such a thorough invasion, assuming I also had access to such specialized libraries, doesn't mean I have the patience to wind my way through what is apparently, to my very casual eye, an incestuous survey and/or repudiation of other's painstaking research.

I was looking for good non-fiction, not something completely unreadable.

I'd recommend staying away unless you're already very familiar with the Domesday field.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment