Mailing List

Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Soulstar (The Kingston Cycle, #3)Soulstar by C.L. Polk
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Strangely enough, I was kinda worried that I wouldn't get into this again after the big politics and the explosive magics that capped the otherwise heartfelt and very British down-to-earth feel series.

But Polk surprised me very pleasantly. Again.

I LOVE Robin. The small sequences of magic might be important to the overall plot, but what makes this series really shine is the character's commitment, their drive, their inherent optimism.

And perhaps I happen to be in the mood for optimism.

Either way, this WORKED for me. When we deal with such hardcore topics as state reparations for massive wrongdoings against populations, I was automatically on board for the push, the political necessities, and the sheer value of JUSTICE, ACCOUNTABILITY, and REALISM. Sure, the witches are stand-ins for systemic racism and exploitation, but the fact that so many people are ON BOARD to do something about it is rather reminiscent (and gloriously so) of the 2020 protests.

So yes, I'm automatically disposed to love this book. And it satisfies, too. The trilogy ends on a very strong note and I even had myself whooping for joy.

Sometimes, it just requires a bit of patience, luck, and hard work.

Bravo.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment