Mailing List

Monday, May 31, 2021

Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)Hex and the City by Simon R. Green
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I admit I WANT to like these much more than I do. I mean, I love Nightside itself. I'm enjoying the revolving-door supernatural characters with almost larger-than-life backstories more interesting than our MC.

So what's my problem? I guess it's just how formulaic this is getting. We moved away from the more traditional noir and have jumped headlong into a late-seasons Supernatural gimmick without the fundamental humor and heart that makes that kind of thing works.

Hell, I even started looking at the writing with all its supremely overpowered peeps and keep saying to myself, "Hey, that would have been a great opportunity to pull a Pratchett, make it all humorous and droll," or "we need one hell of a huge reversal here, like some absolutely powerless pipsqueak being able to overcome our MC." Something. Otherwise, it's all just big baddies against bigger baddies and they're all so SERIOUS. And maybe that would work in some books, but this is a UF. The balance is off. There ought to be at least a little humor, even if it's a completely unfunny snark.

Fortunately, these are short and I still want to see what happens, so here we go...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment