Mailing List

Sunday, June 13, 2021

Wellspring of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce, #12)Wellspring of Chaos by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Strange, this. L. E. Modesitt Jr.'s fantasy does NOT go the route of so many other major modern fantasies. I know this. I've experienced it many times.

And I'm really quite unable to compare it to its contemporaries despite having so many of the same marketing techniques. They are NOT standard. They give us wonderful stories within a full-out history of this world, weaving and interweaving between each other with a different kind of goal in mind. No uber-story. But there is an uber-theme.

Balance. And that's not even that surprising, but as we continue on with this series, we keep seeing new aspects of the same idea, diving deeper into other aspects and shifting, refreshing, viewpoints.

This one goes back to the Order side of things and really blows us away with a true underdog character that goes through a TON of tragedy, underscored by having lived a good life and losing it all.

Honestly, I got rather emotional with this one. You could call me a big fan of this series now.

At all times there is a very huge feeling of calm even in the face of tragedy. Few novels can actively BALANCE us even as it balances the story, but this author has that knack. I always seem to take something very positive out of them.

I totally recommend it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment