Mailing List

Sunday, April 25, 2021

The Witness for the Dead (The Goblin Emperor, #2)The Witness for the Dead by Katherine Addison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I got the ARC! So of course I had to re-read Goblin Emperor to get myself prepared for the sequel.

BUT. It's not really necessary to have read the first book in the series to enjoy this one. I mean, sure, we get to know the cleric Witness for the Dead in the first book, but only in the capacity for solving the overall mystery.

This sequel does not have the same cohesive worldbuilding and plot as the first, but that's all right, too. What we should expect is a continuation of the humanist feel, an exploration of the world, its peoples, and plenty of side mysteries plagued with politics both big and small.

It's comforting. It's even something of a gentle ramble.

I admit I like the first book better and I'm afraid I expected more out of this one because of it, but it was still quite interesting. The most important part is the feel -- and it felt comforting. It is, after all, a journey.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment