Mailing List

Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Establish (Dungeon Robotics #1)Establish by Matthew Peed
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Now, this is kinda embarrassing, but almost immediately, I was already saying to myself, "Hey! This is just like Dakota Trout's Dungeon Born series!"

Only, instead, make it more automaton heavy, nix some of the humorous over-the-top rivalry stuff, and otherwise streamline the town-building around the dungeon.

And lo-and-behold, this is what I got, all the way through to the end.


Now, I should mention one little thing: I still liked it. It's all pretty formula at this point and it rests on how well the characters are set up. The RPG mechanics in this LitRPG are okay if not particularly overboard, and that may be a good or a bad thing, depending on your personal tolerance of such things.

Me, if I'm going to get into a LitRPG series, I love to be info-dumped on the mechanics. It reminds me of how bad of a player I was back in my D&D days, spending 9/10ths of my game sessions preparing ahead of time, min/maxing, gaming the living hell out of the system, and then becoming a demon on the map. IT'S FUN.

But then, these kinds of books are really just stories told from the Dungeon Master's PoV so it's all good. :)

I do hope this gets much better, however.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment