Mailing List

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Ever After (The Hollows, #11)Ever After by Kim Harrison
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Great Hollows Re-Read continues!

I'm personally rather amazed at how hard-hitting this particular novel is even when I know what's about to happen. Not even the off-screen stuff is enough to kill my mood on it. When we see practically EVERYTHING going to hell in one way or another and we're forced to triage and take care of whatever we can and feel horrible about not being able to do a damn thing about the rest, it feels like a huge, ugly slice of life.

I cried many times during this re-read. It's that kind of book. It's not just the deaths or who is doing the dying. It's the enormous stakes and the betrayals and the violence and the utter cowardice of so many... demons, elves, and humans.

Let's face it. Even demons feel powerless when the Ever After is getting hoovered.

Add to that a few kidnappings, the genocide of a few ancient magical species, a deadly vendetta, and even a rather funny and delightful gargoyle prophesy, and we've got a very tightly-strung novel that just can't stop breaking my heart.

And there's one particular scene that breaks my heart more than all the rest. Right, Trent? Rachel? Those damn rings.

But damn the conclusion... all of it... was sooooo damn satisfying.

I'm still rather in shock.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment