Mailing List

Friday, March 26, 2021

The Great GatsbyThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Re-read 3/26/21:

I honestly don't remember how many times I've read this, but each time, I'm blown away by the words.

I'm always stunned by the QUALITIES of men and women in this book. Of spirit, substance, and seeming, we're introduced to so many varieties, given to believe certain things in no unclear language, and yet... it's the dream, and not the reality, that makes a man truly great.

Reality is sordid and dirty. Spirit is eternal. :)

Of course, there are many ways to read this classic, and I've read it in many ways, but in the end, all other methods are a rotten crowd... this one is worth the whole damn bunch put together.


Original Review:

I honestly believe that everyone should read this book when a teenager, and also as an adult, to mark the changes in your own mind and convictions. I loved this book then, as I do now, but for very different reasons. Now, I read it for the beauty of the language. Then, I read it for the joy of falling into a roaring New York, falling into the harsh idealism that almost reaches the intensity of a Russian novelist. Now, I read it for the tragedy; the casual cruelty and stolid absolutism of those who believe in moral dissolution.

Fantastic read, regardless. Now to see the movie. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment