Mailing List

Friday, March 26, 2021

Dead Witch Walking (The Hollows, #1)Dead Witch Walking by Kim Harrison
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm a long-time fan of the full series and this just happens to be my third read.

Let me get the housekeeping out of the way. The later books are much better than the first book. This is probably because we've just got our introductions going.

HOWEVER, re-reads are much more rewarding for the same reason. All the characters who are introduced here are fully explored later, and that isn't just true for Rachael, Ivy, or Jenks, but the perfidy of Nick, the gradual acceptance of Eddings, and of course, the horribly tumultuous relationship with Trent. Not to mention Al.

I've read all the books save the brand new one that is coming out in a few weeks, so I've laughed and cried and have been very impressed with the full scope of what is to come. Seeing all of this first book through that lens is a mindtrip.

Yes, this kind of thing should have a proper term for it. Where the weight of foreknowledge floors you and increases your appreciation for what is in front of you?

Suffice to say, while this first book is light and fun and barely scratches the surface of my enjoyment, it IS still very enjoyable. It's one of my first UF loves, after Anita Blake and before Harry Dresden. I still rank it up there with both.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment