Mailing List

Monday, May 25, 2020

Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)Immortal in Death by J.D. Robb
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Okay. So. I'm trying to get into this the way that so many others seem to have gotten into it, but it just has a certain vibe to it. Not a bad vibe, but an AVERAGE vibe. The mysteries aren't anything special. We get similar police procedurals on tv anywhere you look. The romance isn't special. It's wish-fulfillment on a grand scale: a perfect bad rich boy who is absolutely one dimensional in his love for the emotionally damaged police heroine.

We aren't really supposed to ask why. You know. Chemistry, et al.

So what is this book really about? Wedding preparations and saving a friend from a murder rap. And more wedding preparations than saving her friend from a murder rap. And hot sex. And more wedding preparations.

Hmmm okay.

The SF in this is on par with a plopping in a random Star Wars droid and making the MC make a snide comment the way Harrison Ford was likely to do. Other than that, I can't really say this IS SF at all.

I'm not feeling it. I mean, sure, if all I wanted was a lightly decorated HEA among a few dead bodies and easy mysteries, then this is probably right up my alley. But really, it feels like it could be a straight-on cookie cutter from here on out.

Please, someone, tell me I'm wrong and I may continue on.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment