Mailing List

Thursday, February 21, 2019

MilltownMilltown by Shane Joseph
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Small-town Canada proves to be just as messed up as anywhere in North America.

This mainstream novel really focuses on the trials and tribulations of being an outsider... in this case, a Sri Lankan family of refugees making a home and a restaurant in Milltown.

Add shootings, corruption, young love, pregnancy, and a wide cast of characters. It's pretty good. It's very mainstream and we get to know everyone very well. Some we learn to love, some we learn to hate, and isn't that always the way it is in stories of small towns?

I enjoyed myself. It's not really the usual kind of fare I read, but I've read quite a few like this... usually within masters of the craft and classic novels, but this one stands very well on its own. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment