Mailing List

Sunday, August 12, 2018

New Clone CityNew Clone City by Mike Hembury
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a surprise! I picked this one up on a whim through Netgalley and let all my expectations rest on the cool cover. And title. :) But you know what?

Totally satisfied.

It has a lot of quirky cool characters and a futuristic city that is full of cyberpunk elements, but at its core, it's hipsters, rednecks, reactionary hate-types, gays, druggies, hackers, and revolutionaries. :)

And the way it reads is a delight. It has a polished and wicked cool voice throughout.

What really stuck with me wasn't the feminist Kali revolutionaries or the reactionary types importing thugs and ex-military to push an anti-gay movement in New Clone City, but the ex-hipster artist-sometime-druggy cool cat who learns he has cancer. He gets himself embroiled in a wicked plot to get his hands on an experimental treatment and my goodness... what a ride that was. :)

At its core, it's a character novel. But don't let that fool you. The plot is pretty wild and fun and I had a great time. Excellent world-building, great sex, and people, people, people doing what they've always done. There's nothing one-dimensional about this novel.

Totally recommend.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment