Mailing List

Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Magic Triumphs (Kate Daniels, #10)Magic Triumphs by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's over. Ish. At least, the Kate Daniels-Lennart cycle is DONE.

It's been one hell of a ride, with bigger and badder enemies, like dear papa wanting to be in her life to take and corrupt his perfect magical grandchild or elder gods/dragons from pocket universes wanting to use and share Kate's new godhood in ruling the whole world.

You know, the same little problems on the same scale as Curran and Kate's little jealous tiffs. Or the fear. You know, fear of godhood or motherhood, of a precocious child spraying magic everywhere like a firework, or the inevitable showdown with gods and family and wondering how she got to this impasse.

I feel for her.

It doesn't help that courting rituals of gods can be JUST like being boiled alive.

This last book is easily my favorite of the whole bunch. Some series end with a whimper, but this one ends with a very satisfying bang. Emotionally, plot-wise, the level of magic amazingness, the fights, the betrayals, the successes... all of it just kicked ass.

Yes, things got wrapped up very nicely.

The only concern I might have is for Hugh and Kate. They have a lot of history and a lot of nastiness to overcome, and even tho some of it was worked out in previous novels and Hugh has had his own little awesome side-series kick off (I loved it) I couldn't QUITE make the emotional connect that Kate made. I may like the two characters on their own, but Kate's acceptance of Hugh is a mite unbelievable. As a reader, I'm totally on board with Hugh, but for Kate's sake, perhaps not.

Other than that, I still think the whole novel is something special. :) Very satisfying.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment