Mailing List

Thursday, January 25, 2018

The Masked City (The Invisible Library, #2)The Masked City by Genevieve Cogman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm on the shelf about this one. It's more 3.5 stars but I tend to round up when there's nothing overtly wrong with it. And there isn't. It is what it intends to be. A spy novel with interdimensional librarians up against the forces of Order and Chaos in the shapes of the Fae and Dragons.

There's a bit of romance, a lot of steampunk train-heist-y stuff, and talking. It's fun.

My only complaint is that there's not enough meat. I mean, the potential is there for some really wild and imaginative diversions, but it sits in the box of mild spy fiction with costumes and mild victorian intrigue.

Unfortunately, my wild expectations for something grand, grander, grandest, got in the way of what I was actually given, but that's my problem, not the book's problem. It was entertaining as it was. It just wasn't as wildly entertaining as I had hoped.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment