Mailing List

Friday, October 13, 2023

No Country for Old MenNo Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Finally getting around to this one, and while it rides that easy Western line, circa 1980 small town ethos, it is merely one of those books that I appreciate without loving.

Here's what I DO appreciate: it's a fine adventure of simplicity and survival, drug cartel meet gone wrong and opportunism butting heads with a hired psychopath... meets philosophy as entertainment.

There's some depth to this, regardless of the simplicity, but that's pretty much the best part of it. It's slow, carefully paced, with surprising switches of action-order, and I know, from its general staying power, it's sticking to a lot of people.

But for me? I think it's a fine home-cooked meal wrapped in a bloody modern western. Even when there's blood and death, it's quiet and slow. Perhaps that's all kinds of wonderful.

It's just a shame, though, that it just feels above average to me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment