Mailing List

Saturday, March 27, 2021

The Good, the Bad, and the Undead (The Hollows, #2)The Good, the Bad, and the Undead by Kim Harrison
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Series re-read!

While the first book is good, the second is fantastic. We've got the trio settling in, pulling runs, making mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are on the job, and sometimes it's just with each other.

It's almost painful to see how awkward certain things can be: Ivy's living undead pheromones, unsaid promises, Rachel's little weakness thanks to having encountered vampire mind-**ckery in the previous book.

But then, there's also the thorough theme of power dynamics running all through this book. It's not all delicious tomato-based humor or practical jokes in the garden or a little sexy-time with Rachel's boy-toy Nick (literally, thanks to another little mistake). Indeed, the book gets downright DARK. I can't rightly fault Rachel's decision to do what she does after taking care of Ivy.

I'm also feeling the echoes of things to come as I read this, and I nearly broke into tears.

I honestly forgot just how much I loved these. It's truly like coming home.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment