Mailing List

Sunday, August 27, 2023

The Will of the Many (Hierarchy, #1)The Will of the Many by James Islington
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I can't say enough good things about James Islington. The other fantasy series was fantastic, but if anything, this one is better. Such smooth writing, interesting characters, great buildup of stakes, and magic systems that are gripping and disturbing and mysterious -- while obviously following some great rules.

In particular, I can't quite say what I love most, the characterizations or the deep implications to the worldbuilding and the will-stealing magic (or the MC's absolute refusal to submit or force others to submit). Maybe it's both. The willpower required, the other coercions, the fallback into a more standard adoption/training/school setting, and the understanding that it will all eventually come tumbling down, is some great storytelling.

And then there's the writing, itself. It's as smooth as silk. I could read this forever, and likely will. It's a big book and I would read 40 times this length without batting an eyelash.

I can't wait to read the next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment