Mailing List

Sunday, August 20, 2023

The Candy HouseThe Candy House by Jennifer Egan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is definitely a traditional fiction, character-centric, social and personal commentary stab at our modern world. With good writing, it has all the feel of character studies, the drive for authenticity, with all the trappings of an old-style generational novel -- with the inclusion of a very SF worldbuild that integrates uploaded memories in every walk of our modern life.

No, the plot doesn't center around the tech. Indeed, there isn't much of a plot. It is a series of well-written vignettes that focus on personal issues, growth, ideals, or just happiness.

I recommend it for the journey, not the destination. It was quite entertaining as long as I just let it take me wherever it wanted to go.

I will mention I thought it got really interesting with the short 2nd person storytelling. I appreciate that kind of thing when done well.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment