Mailing List

Thursday, November 5, 2020

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRueThe Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Quiet, even deeply introspective, this Faustian bargain of a book seems, at times, like a dream come true and a clever nightmare. Addie LaRue gets freedom and eternity for the loss of her soul and others' memory of her.

I immediately thought of Claire North's novels as I read this. Lush in time and setting, deeply thoughtful about the conditions of the bargains and the conflicts and, of course, excellent worldbuilding.

At least to me, Addie LaRue feels like a departure from her other novels. This one has none of the urgency because that is the nature of the bargain. How does one maintain a love for life if you go through it, invisible? Or close enough as to make no difference.

I really enjoyed getting there. The love story was a great counterpoint. In fact, both love stories were fascinating. Or three, if you consider the love of life as a love story. :) Which I do.

What I should focus on, when it comes to this novel, is how I feel. And I feel CHARMED. Not cursed. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment