Mailing List

Monday, June 8, 2020

Watchtower (Chronicles of Tornor, #1)Watchtower by Elizabeth A. Lynn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Winner of the '80 World Fantasy Award.

As I was reading this, I was struck by something rather odd. Intense, even. I almost swore I was reading George R. R. Martin's SoIaF. It has all the feel of Snow in the Watch, the Summer lands versus the Winter, the intense focus on swordcraft and making it through tough times, tougher battles, and reveling in all the details.

Indeed, anyone missing a taste of THAT would do well to revisit Lynn.

Of course, if you'd prefer to read this novel for its place as a classic Feminist fantasy tale, please do so, but read it for its place in time. There have been TONS of similar feminist treatments since 1980. Fantasy is now rife with the strong-minded and capable warrior princesses.

Not bad at all, but read with today's eye for grim fantasy, it's not the best.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment