Mailing List

Wednesday, February 19, 2020

A Natural History of Dragons (The Memoirs of Lady Trent, #1)A Natural History of Dragons by Marie Brennan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I think I'm in love with this book. No... I know it. :)

I don't know what I expected, but it wasn't a call-back to the early days of science when the practitioners called themselves Naturalists, being well-funded amateurs and Lords (Or Ladies!) striking out into the wide world for the simple pleasure of learning, discovery, and adventure.

Maybe I should have expected that. But then, maybe I shouldn't have expected it to be charming, totally delightful, emotionally rewarding, smart, and witty... but then, I did get that, too.

But the real kicker? I was caught and dipped in vinegar the very moment that we began wondering whether dragons had wishbones. The total love of books, the frustration that women with talent and drive always experience when they're told they're not allowed in certain fields, and the utter DEMAND one puts on oneself to succeed at all costs... well, THIS is what preserved me.

Great observations, charmingly told, this is almost like Indiana Jones with Dragons as written by a wonderfully quirky woman with a sharp eye. I can't recommend this enough.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment