Mailing List

Saturday, December 28, 2019

The Toll (Arc of a Scythe, #3)The Toll by Neal Shusterman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This went in a pretty interesting direction. I have nothing bad to say about the Thunderhead, the world-wide AI god managing humanity, and I don't even have anything bad to say about the nature of the society this far into the future.

However, while I was slightly amused with the whole Toll, the subsect of the religion-ish society, and its rather one-sided war with the Scythes, the whole thing came off as something little more than a cog in a much bigger game.

Not bad, mind you, but the whole setup is kinda obvious, especially when we head to the endgame.

No spoilers on that, but it certainly makes some good sense and it kinda repudiates the whole initial Thunderhead concept. Or does it? Who am I to judge. I think multiple redundancies are an awesome thing, even for a god. :) Life has it, why not improve upon the idea? :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment