Mailing List

Tuesday, December 3, 2019

La Belle Sauvage (The Book of Dust, #1)La Belle Sauvage by Philip Pullman
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I don't know. I think some of my friends will probably try to murder me, but there is nothing all that extraordinary about this novel. I think I might rate it more 3.5 for nostalgia and solid prose if not for exciting plot or developments.

Of course, that is a problem when you're dealing with a prequel.

We get all of... getting a baby to the college.

Sure, it's fine for all that this is and I enjoyed getting to know the wacky kids who discover all this intrigue on the fly and hop in to encounter a good few of the main characters from the original trilogy... but the fact that my greatest enjoyments were in connecting this book to the others and finding little to get excited over in THIS book, on its own merits, kind of makes me... sad.

Still, for all you folks who get extremely excited over the originals, I'm certain you'll still get along fine with this one.

On to the next, which apparently jumps ahead in time a good deal! :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment