Mailing List

Monday, December 23, 2019

Letters from Father ChristmasLetters from Father Christmas by J.R.R. Tolkien
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A delightful little collection of letters written by Santa and his polar bear and sometimes a few Elves across a generation or two to a single family... Tolkein's family, to be precise... evincing love, mischief, and cheery, gay, heartfelt holiday wishes.

The letters are quite delightful and sweet.



But to me, there is another side to this, one my devious mind could not ignore.

At first, I was like... where is Mrs. Christmas? There was always a Mrs. Christmas, wasn't there? But no. Father Christmas lived alone... with a polar bear. A big, burly, surly, hairy bear. They sniped at each other all the time and even after destroying one house, they moved in together in a new one. Much later, a bunch of elves moved in, too, but there was still no Mrs. Claus.

Suddenly, this merry gay Christmas became much, much gayer. ;)

Merry Christmas, ya'll!

And for those of you who don't know me, you should probably know I'm a horrible, terrible, no good scrooge. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment