Mailing List

Thursday, October 24, 2019

The Turn of the ScrewThe Turn of the Screw by Henry James
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Oddly enough, I had a pretty good time with this turn-of-the-last-century ghost story. Something in me wanted to be worried, however, and after reading a number of rather... critical... reviews, I came into this expecting some rather... dated... concepts.

Yes, yes, the whole Victorian "you are what you wear" and "you are as you appear" concept is especially grating, and despite the rather usual non-minimalist prose, I enjoyed being dangled about on multiple red-herrings and preoccupations. I can even forgive our Governess's relative inexperience and ignorance of the utter batshit insane obsessions of a pair of tots.

Kids are fantastic at fooling adults.

Oh yeah. Fantastic.

Creepy little...

ANYWAY! I enjoyed the ghost story, the possession, the preoccupation with letters, gossip, and afternoon delights. I didn't find it at all stuffy, but it's NOT much like a modern ghost story at all. Elements, sure, but it's very much a period piece. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment