Mailing List

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The FiremanThe Fireman by Joe Hill
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This was an honestly fascinating ride of a novel. I wasn't entirely certain what to expect because of some reviews, but I'm certainly happy I got to read it. I was also a bit more satisfied with the ending than I thought I would be.

So what's the big deal with Hill's big novel?

Is it really an origin story for a handful of firestarters among a whole world's spontaneous combustion? A survival tale against the hate and fear riddled remnants of "clean" humanity? One of those ever-decreasing remnants of post-apocalyptic SF that's actually designed for adults?

Yeah, it's all of those, and more. I really enjoyed having an 26 year old MC nurse who's pregnant and learning how to live with or become a human flamethrower.

It's just not that common.

Comic books aside, of course, but this novel is not a comic book origin story at all. It's a survival fiction and it's also a pretty tight commentary on sheeple and social media and popular pundits. It's also pretty heartwarming and horrifying and an oddly powerful and persuasive argument for finding peace in our hearts. :)

I liked that bit the most. It kinda rocked.

Everything is going to hell, but the only way through it is by peace. Um... With benefits. :)

I had a really good time with this one. Thank goodness I gave it a shot. :) Maybe it's better because I lowered my expectations, but whatever, it's good. :) Loved the pyrotechnics. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment