Mailing List

Saturday, January 1, 2022

Imager (Imager Portfolio, #1)Imager by L.E. Modesitt Jr.
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I admit I like to read L.E. Modesitt Jr. more for how he always makes me feel while reading his works than the core of the stories he writes. It's a matter of taste, perhaps, and maybe it's because he always seems to comfort me.

In this new (to me) fantasy series, Imager is simple on the front. If you image something in your head, strong enough, you can make it appear with some interesting, rather scientific consequences. Chemicals you might use get sucked out of what they were in, nearby, making some rather startling accidents.

But beyond that, the novel follows a very comforting formula, from total beginner to improving better than your peers to finding a sympathetic love interest to succeeding in battle and politics and generally leveling up while keeping a level-head.

I mean, this is Modesitt to all degrees. I'm always happy to read these because *how* a thing is done is often much more important than *what* is being done. And this book makes me happy.

A very strong start.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment