Mailing List

Tuesday, July 12, 2022

Into the Narrowdark (The Last King of Osten Ard, #3.1)Into the Narrowdark by Tad Williams
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The long wait is well worth it. This book will be a two-parter if you consider an 800-page book just HALF of a single book. And yet, all the buildup from the first two books of the Last King of Osten Ard (aka, Simon, himself) has sent us straight to character hell.

The whole family is scattered, grieving, and armies are not only on the doorsteps but are wreaking havoc.

This book is quite dark. But there are some really light and fun parts. A particular grandson with his new immortal girlfriend is an absolute delight to read, splitting up what might be a slightly too dark and dire volume. Everyone else is worried about them, but their adventure always brought a smile to my face. And the kissing. Too cute.

I mention all this because the storm has come everywhere else and I think it has as high, if not higher, stakes than Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn. The sleeping queen is most difinitely awake, and all the many immortals are heeding her call.

I'm quite happy with this book. With the whole series. It's lush with detail, careful, and rich in characters, vast stories that are given tons of time to really develop, and a land that I really care for.

Now, if only I had a copy of part two in my hands...

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment