Mailing List

Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Inkdeath (Inkworld, #3)Inkdeath by Cornelia Funke
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

After finishing the third Inkworld book, I found myself caught between two thoughts.
I was satisfied with the complexities of the plot, the gushiness of its characters, and the fundamentals of the premise, but I was also annoyed with how it flipped away from its main female characters and suddenly became all about Mo, Fenoglio, and Orpheus.

Am I somewhat happy that writers and bookish people get so much page-time, becoming quasi swashbucklers and magicians? Yes, of course. But on the other hand, I really did enjoy the girls more. Meggie especially.

It just happened to be my mindset as I started the series and I wanted more of it.

That being said, there were a good number of twists, if not surprises, and the whole book just screamed "REVISION" to me, as a writer, so I had a few queasy moments and a rather ambivalent enjoyment for a wide section of the novel.

I don't know. From what I understand, the original novel in German is something tight, fresh, and wordily spectacular. What I read here, in English, was fairly busy, sometimes silly, and competent -- if not brilliant.

I suppose I had slightly higher expectations and I'm now suffering because of it.

Don't get me wrong, however. It wasn't bad. It was pretty average.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment