Mailing List

Monday, January 6, 2020

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)The Gunslinger by Stephen King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

A fateful, Ka-filled return to one of my first, favorite series of all time.

I love the Dark Tower.

Yes, yes, I'm a fanboy. I got the audiocassettes back in the day that had none other than Stephen King, himself, reading his own work. I've spent many years tracking down every reference to the Crimson King, the Man in Black, and Mid World across the majority of Stephen King's novels. I have this IDEA of the Dark Tower in my mind that puts to shame almost all other SF tales that revolved around multiple universes.

I'm talking about SCALE.

Oh, and this little Western that poses as a horror novel couched within a massive Science Fiction universe also happens to be a rather literary and music-filled repository that shines with stories within stories within stories.

Did I mention that I'm a fanboy? Rereading this is like coming home. Like coming home to Robert Browning:

There they stood, ranged along the hill-sides, met
To view the last of me, a living frame
For one more picture! in a sheet of flame
I saw them and I knew them all. And yet
Dauntless the slug-horn to my lips I set,
And blew “Childe Roland to the Dark Tower came.”



... And we shall not speak of that accursed movie.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment