Mailing List

Wednesday, January 8, 2020

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger BornThe Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born by Robin Furth
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

You know, even if I wasn't already a die-hard fan of King in general and a super-fan of the DT in specific, I have to say that the quality of this artwork is EASILY enough to deserve a 5-star rating while totally skimming the text.

That being said, I DID NOT skim the text. :) And what did I find?

I didn't find The Gunslinger. Nope. I found KID GUNSLINGER. You know, a wealth of details about the dark YA version of Roland and his youthful Ka-tet. Not to mention a wealth of information only gleaned books later on, including more magic, more history lessons, and really delicious hints of the REALLY big stuff to come. Like, much later. lol

So what am I hinting at here?

Ah, nothin'. It's fantastic no matter how you look at it. It's chronologically sound. You get started at the very beginning of Roland when he fights his teacher. You get his first quest that goes extremely sideways. You get Susan Delgado. All that angst from an older man as he trudges through the wasteland, alone, having seen all his friends go the way of the clearing at the end of the path, has not happened yet.

I LIKE seeing this side of things first. It doesn't show me just how HUGE and EPIC the rest of the DT is, not like the end of The Gunslinger, but it might just be enough to hook any kind of new fan by way of a different medium.

Either way, the books still need a great reading. :) Before? After? I don't think it'll ever really matter.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment