Mailing List

Friday, July 12, 2019

An Acceptable Time (Time Quintet, #5)An Acceptable Time by Madeleine L'Engle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book was just okay. Maybe I'm a bit meh about Christian fantasy/sf in general, or specifically, but I did enjoy the moments of particle physics and the apologia for all things Jesus. (Sure, time travel is fine because even though you're going back a thousand years before the time of Christ, his spirit is eternal, etc., etc.)

MAYBE I would have liked this a lot more if it hadn't been super-primitive societies performing ritual sacrifice and we're supposed to go back and civilize the bastards. Or something like that.

Hmmm. Well, I do like certain ASPECTS of this. Like any time period that is ours. That's pretty cool. But when what should have been the cool bit, like TIME TRAVEL, something between my shoulder-blades started itching and I just wanted to be through this. I'm afraid that it didn't age all that well.

Which is a shame, because I used to love the rough-and-tumble mix of science and religion in the previous books.

I think it is a case of, "I've changed, you haven't. Sorry, L'Engle."

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment