Mailing List

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Murder In LaMut (Legends of the Riftwar, #2)Murder In LaMut by Raymond E. Feist
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

What this book does very right:

It's almost a three musketeer's kind of tale without the humor, a close band of mercenaries working their way across Feist's world until they get trapped by circumstance and some nasty Baronial politics and a snowstorm. Much later on, it DOES become a murder mystery, but the title is misleading, masquerading as big plot point without ACTUALLY being the reason for the novel.

It is, however, a pretty damn delightful novel full of great details, very well developed characters, and a slow burn that reminds me of an enormously entertaining backstory for a series yet to come. I'd read a LOT more of these guys if I ever get the chance.

The murder mystery DOES make sense, however. Being a mercenary and keen on keeping one's skin really can be a job for someone bright and analytical, and I definitely saw a lot of that throughout the novel. You might say that this is the beginning of a great Mystery series that just happens to be set in a fantasy world.

The genre mix was really pleasing. It just might not have been packaged right. Or readers may have wanted something more LIKE the other Feist novels.


The bad, assuming you think it is bad:

This is almost nothing like the other Feist novels. There is no big magic, big battles, demon invasions, or recognizable characters... except in passing conversation. If I wanted nothing but Feist, I might be disappointed.


If I wanted good fantasy with a careful and slow progression of characterization and depth of story, then I really needed to look no further. :)

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment