Mailing List

Friday, May 20, 2016

Fire BoyFire Boy by Sami Shah
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Believe it or not, I think this is a very solid beginning.

The novel is an easy and engaging read, with plenty of fascinating crossover cultural bits between Pakistan and nerdy western practices, *(Thank you for the crossover between Moorcock's Elric and D&D, I think that was pretty well Awesome and A Half,)* and a delightful exploration of the Djinn World and Its History. I got sucked right into Wahid as a character, his friends, and the situation that he has found himself. The writing is engaging and smooth and the many interludes were just as fun as the main text.

So why did I just say this was just a very solid beginning? Oh, I may be wrong about that. We're actually pretty strongly through the middle of the novel, where the reveals come in play nicely and a wonderful new character comes into play. The action is now in full swing.

The only thing is... well... there's no climax. There's no final action. This isn't a complete novel. There is no end. There's just the part where I really, really want to go and then the text stops. It's not even a cliffhanger, because at least there's the peak and then the tumble off the peak in a cliffhanger. This is just... coitus interruptus.

Why don't I give this less stars, then? Because I was really enjoying myself. I want to read more. I'm going to read more. I'm hooked and it's delightful and I've got a real big sympathy for the devil thing going on right now.

Assuming that this novel picks up where it ought to and I can ignore this little interruption, I might just start raving about the book.

Here's to the future! :) *clink*

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment