Mailing List

Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Red Country (First Law World, #6)Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

As long as no one is expecting the huge, triumphant return of Ninefingers, this is a very cool novel of grimdark fantasy very much in line with the entire series. Lots of revenge, desperate striving, stolen pleasures, gold, politics, and blood, blood, blood.

In other words, it's pretty damn fun.

But what about Ninefingers!?

Oh, he's here, but he's not the main character. Shy is. Shy is wonderful, complicated, and bruised by life. Her FRIENDSHIP with him is on full display.

But you know what I liked most about this novel?

Temple. Temple the con-man, the notary, the weak, begging, SMART idiot who gets himself into trouble as often as he talks his way out of it. I LOVED him. Or, I loved to hate him. Or loved being disappointed in him. But mostly I loved seeing him worm his way out of the worst of circumstances.

He and Shy are a pretty fine team. Too bad it's all grimdark.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment