Mailing List

Sunday, January 3, 2021

Lust for LifeLust for Life by Sean-Paul Thomas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This is a pretty interesting novel, especially if you want to get your fill of Iggy Pop. Or rather, when you know that life is shite and your number has been called and you just want to squeeze every last ounce of living you can out of the old pisser before you conk out, fill.

Frankly, I sympathize. What's more, it's a raw deal that strips away almost all options when you know your ticket is about to be punched -- so what do you do? Sex it up. Find love in all the wrong places. Live like it'll be your last because it probably is.

When we do get to love, I'm all for it, and sure, the scene is a little bit trite but I like the characters and I'm rooting for them. But when the next stage of the conflict comes, requiring a little bit of ultraviolence to come along for the ride, I'm reminded a bit of A Clockwork Orange... or any quasi-ethical revenge sequence that lets the poor sod get all violent as a counterpoint to the romance.

Suffice to say, it really is the JOURNEY that matters. The end is, well, always a real cesspit. It's kinda hard to lust for death. Pretty solid stuff, here.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment