Mailing List

Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Small Spaces (Small Spaces, #1)Small Spaces by Katherine Arden
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It wasn't hard to get into this book. I was easily charmed by the first half. I honestly enjoyed getting to know Ollie and her new friends Brian and Coco. Dealing with tragedy and being a kinda bookworm and smartie-pants is up my alley, after all.

But later on, when it gets fairly supernatural and kicks it up to some old-fashioned fairy-tale stuff, it was more along the lines of Bradbury than the kind of book I thought I had been reading.

This is not to say it wasn't good. I'm just saying that I had been enjoying the first half a lot more than the second. After all, dealing with tragedy IS rather hardcore. It just felt kinda diluted with the horror-lite middle-grade adventure that came after.

Of course, this IS a formula of sorts. I shouldn't complain that a story follows its own path. I'll continue with the next.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment