Mailing List

Thursday, October 8, 2020

Last DaysLast Days by Brian Evenson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I started reading this, I was struck by how much of a traditional mystery tale it was. You know, mean streets, investigation, quirky/disturbing personalities. Of course, by Evenson's own reckoning, he wanted to take traditional elements and put the knife to them.

In that regard, and thinking of this novel as an experiment really helps.

I mean, diving hand first into a mutilation cult is WEIRD.

Sorry, you fans of mutilation-cults. It's me, not you. But as for me, it was both absurd and disturbing and very, very, very allegorical. That part was fine.

Chop, chop, chop. The more you lose, the more you gain! But then, there's more in less, no? LOL.

Well, I guess there are worse ways to lose weight than losing a limb or two or four.

Aren't there?

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment