Mailing List

Thursday, February 14, 2019

The Ones Who Got Away (The Ones Who Got Away, #1)The Ones Who Got Away by Roni Loren
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Yeah, yeah, I just read a romance for Valentine's day. Sue me. I'm supposed to go out on a limb. Break the cast. Stretch my wings. Learn to fly...
Oh, whatever... I read a romance, all right?

The good: It does exactly what it sets out to do. Pull on the heartstrings without once touching the head. You know which head.

Add past tragedy and bad decisions, throw two scarred peeps together, have them hem and haw about keeping things light and avoiding hurt through all the attraction, have a new emotional tragedy loom on the horizon, and then, when we think it's all over, give us the sappy romantic end.

Wait... this can't be a romance, CAN IT? buahahahahaha.

The bad: There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING surprising about this novel. It's a set piece, written well, but it follows the formula perfectly.

That isn't always a bad thing, of course. People want to have their heartstrings tugged, get a huge dose of sexytime on the page, and FEEL.

This novel does that. I felt, too.

But afterward? I'm like... okay! What's next? *shrug*

This MAY have been a one-night-stand. Even so, happy V-Day!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment